Katy Perry and her teammates have been asked to pay $ 2.78 million for copying a song from a Christian rapper. The case dates back to 2013 where a single form the Katy Perry hit “Dark Horse” which was a hit and was even nominated for the Grammy.
Marcus Gray and two of his coauthors had filed a copyright infringement case against the popular singer in 2014. They have alleged that Katy Perry and her team copied a 16 second musical riff from his song “Joyful Noise”. The song was released in 2009 under the name Flame. The riff was used in Chris Perry’s single “Dark Horse”, which formed part of her album, Prism.
The original composers had asked for the damages of $ 20 million as the gross earnings of the Katy Pery song was estimated to be around $ 41 million. The attorneys appearing for Perry were trying to bring it to $ 360,000. The jury finally imposed a fine of $ 2.78 million of which Katy Perry herself will have to bear $ 550,000. Rest of it will be the responsibility of the record company, Capitol Records.
During the trial, it was argued that the creators of “Dark Horse” had not heard about the rap song in question – “Joyful Noise” and the said riff was quite basic. They even argued that the riff should be available for all the writers. However, the lawsuit that went on for over five years was finally declared in favour of the petitioners. While the amount granted is quite less than what was originally pushed for, they claimed that they are happy with the decision.
Though the riff lasts just around 16 seconds, it does play through 45 per cent of the song “Dark Horse”. This is exactly what Marcus and his attorneys were asking for – a 45 per cent of the total earnings of the label and the song. The defendents’ attorneys claimed that the earnings of the album or the song were not because of the musical riff, but on account of it being a Katy Perry Song. It was argued that the name of katy Perry as the singer was the contributor for the success of the album. She was already a star when the album launched in 2013.
For Marcus Gray, however, it can be a shot to fame and a sort of an underdog victory for him. In fact, from being an obscure artist in comparison, he has been able to shoot into a glory of fame.
- Niall Horan Opens Up About His Dating Rumors With This International Singer
- Facebook Tests Tool That Allows Users To Export Photos To Google
- Hailey Baldwin Is Rumored To Be Pregnant After This Picture Went Public
- Shein Is Offering Exclusive Deals and Offers For Black Friday, Get Your Coupons Here
- Elon Musk Revealed Why The Window Glass Of Cybertruck Broke In The Demo
- Selena Gomez’s New Untitled Album To Release On 10th January 2020
- Friends Auctioning Props And Items For 25th Anniversary
- Motorola Razr 2019 Beats Samsung With Two Features
- Scooter Braun and Scott Borchetta Are Getting Doxxed By Taylor’s Fans
- Nike’s Departure From Amazon Could Prompt Others To Leave
- Hailey Baldwin And Justin Bieber Enjoys A Road Trip Together
- Mercury is making the rare transit across the sun on Nov 11,2019
- Samsung Galaxy A71 5G With Exynos 980 Processor
- Thousands of Internal Facebook Documents, emails made public in leak
- Selena Gomez Becomes First Artist To Top Billboard And Rolling Stones
- OnePlus Dual Phone Strategy Is Going To Continue Due To Successful Sales
- Amazon Makes Grocery Delivery Free For Prime Members
- Selena Gomez Deleted A Photo Promoting Kim Kardashian Brand
- Kesha: Beyonce Advised Me To Weed Out Snakes From My Life
- Amazon Web Services Is Evaluating Options After Microsoft Wins $10 Billion JEDI Contract