Katy Perry and her teammates have been asked to pay $ 2.78 million for copying a song from a Christian rapper. The case dates back to 2013 where a single form the Katy Perry hit “Dark Horse” which was a hit and was even nominated for the Grammy.
Marcus Gray and two of his coauthors had filed a copyright infringement case against the popular singer in 2014. They have alleged that Katy Perry and her team copied a 16 second musical riff from his song “Joyful Noise”. The song was released in 2009 under the name Flame. The riff was used in Chris Perry’s single “Dark Horse”, which formed part of her album, Prism.
The original composers had asked for the damages of $ 20 million as the gross earnings of the Katy Pery song was estimated to be around $ 41 million. The attorneys appearing for Perry were trying to bring it to $ 360,000. The jury finally imposed a fine of $ 2.78 million of which Katy Perry herself will have to bear $ 550,000. Rest of it will be the responsibility of the record company, Capitol Records.
During the trial, it was argued that the creators of “Dark Horse” had not heard about the rap song in question – “Joyful Noise” and the said riff was quite basic. They even argued that the riff should be available for all the writers. However, the lawsuit that went on for over five years was finally declared in favour of the petitioners. While the amount granted is quite less than what was originally pushed for, they claimed that they are happy with the decision.
Though the riff lasts just around 16 seconds, it does play through 45 per cent of the song “Dark Horse”. This is exactly what Marcus and his attorneys were asking for – a 45 per cent of the total earnings of the label and the song. The defendents’ attorneys claimed that the earnings of the album or the song were not because of the musical riff, but on account of it being a Katy Perry Song. It was argued that the name of katy Perry as the singer was the contributor for the success of the album. She was already a star when the album launched in 2013.
For Marcus Gray, however, it can be a shot to fame and a sort of an underdog victory for him. In fact, from being an obscure artist in comparison, he has been able to shoot into a glory of fame.
- Healthcare and Medical Simulation Market to 2024 Players/Suppliers, Revenue, Volume and Growth Rate by Key Players: Laerdal, CAE, 3D Systems, Ambu, Kyoto Kagaku, Limbs&Things
- Financial Sponsor or Syndicated Loans Market Types, Applications, Leading Countries, Challenges, Opportunities & Drivers Analysis by Goldman Sachs, Barclays, Credit Suisse, JPMorgan
- Corporate Wellness Software Market Supply Demand, Revenue, Investment Feasibility, Market size & Upcoming Trends by Key Vendors: CoreHealth Technologies, MediKeeper, Wellness Layers
- Corporate Leadership Training Market to 2024 Manufactures, Types, Applications, Market Dynamics & Trends by Key Players: Dalecarnegie, Inspireone, Pragati Leadership, Infoprolearning
- Cloud Applications Market Research Analysis of Capacity, Price, Gross Margin, Market share, Recent Trends & Key Players: Yahoo, AWS, Oracle, Aliyun, Microsoft Azure, DELL
- Cartilage Repair/ Cartilage Regeneration Market projected to reach USD 1288.47 million by 2025 by Key Players: Zimmer Biomet Holdings, DepuySynthes, Vericel, Smith & Nephew PLC
- Cards and Payments Market Outlook to 2024 Emerging Trends, Highlights and Challenges by Key Players: Gemalto, G&D, Oberthur, Morpho (Safran), VALID, Eastcompeace
- Virtual Payment Terminal Market Growth by Industry Analysis, Size, Share, Opportunities, Key Manufacturers, Drivers and Forecast to 2024
- Business Information Market Opportunity Analysis, Competitive Insights, Growth and Forecast to 2024 | Key Players: Bloomberg, Dow Jones, Experian Information Solutions
- Business English Language Training Market Size, Status, Top Players, Trends and Forecast to 2023 including key players like Berlitz, EF Education First, inlingua, Pearson ELT
- Biotech Api Market Demand, Growth Factors, Supply, Latest Rising Trend & Forecast to 2024 with Key Companies like Lupin, Tian Yao, Cipla, Novartis, Biocon, DSM, Pfizer
- Internet of Things (IoT) Professional Services Market Outlook, Geographical Segmentation & Qualitative Analysis by ACCENTURE, ATOS, CAPGEMINI, COGNIZANT TECHNOLOGY
- Big Data in the Oil and Gas Sector Market Overview, Demand, Growth and Forecast to 2023 by Top Players: Accenture, Cisco Systems, CSC, Dell, Deloitte, EMC, Hitachi, HP
- Alternative Lending Market Huge Demand & Future Scope Including Top Players: Lending Club, Prosper, Upstart, SoFi, OnDeck, Avant, Funding Circle, Zopa
- Reference Check Software Market Examined in Upcoming Market Research with Revenue, Gross Margin, Market Share and Forecast until 2023
- 3PL in FMCG Market Future and Technological Advancement by Key Companies: CEVA Logistics, C.H. ROBINSON, Deutsche Bahn, Deutsche Post DHL Group, Kuehne + Nagel
- Insurance Technology Market Analysis by Requirements, Demands and Supply with Key vendoes like: IBM, Microsoft, Accenture, Oracle, By Miles, Yolo, Zego
- Cloud ERP Market Estimate Growth Rate Forecast & End-User Application to 2025 | Key Players: Oracle Corporation, Microsoft Corporation, Sage Software, Inc., Intacct
- Retail Robotics Market Research and Development to 2024 with Key Players like Lowebot, Tally, Pepper, Amazon Go stores, Echos, Alexas, Kivas, Chloe, Domino’s Robotic Unit
- Identity-as-a-Service Market to 2024 is Booming Worldwide by Top Players: Exostar, JumpCloud, CA Technologies, Capegemini, Google, Centrify, ILANTUS Technologies, HCL