It is not a secret that President Donald Trump has always been against the Birthright citizenship. Despite the constitutional amendment in place, Trump seems to be adamant on abolishing the the provision which confers the automatic American citizenship to the children born in the US, even when the parents are not the citizens of the country.
However, it may be important to note that Trump made it one of the important points in his election campaign in 2016, he has remained silent all through the tenure which comes to end in 2020. It can perhaps be one of his ploys for seeking re-election next year, even if the executive order – if any – is issued, it is bound to go into the legal turmoil and will be at odds with the country’s Supreme Court.
“We’re looking at that very seriously, birthright citizenship,” is what Trump told reporters at a press conference outside the White House, but did not elaborate on how he wants to go about it. However, the constitutional experts are of the opinion that such a move would not be without the legal battles.
In fact, there is a Supreme Court precedent, where a ruling in 1898 ha conferred the American citizenship on a child born in the US to non citizens parents of Chinese. Any executive order by the Trump administration would be challenged in the Supreme Court citing this precedent.
Trump claimed that “We’re the only country in the world where a person comes in and has a baby, and the baby is essentially a citizen of the United States for 85 years with all of those benefits,” and termed it ridiculous. What is ridiculous for the president is the fact that there are over 30 countries that follow the birthright citizenship.
There has been a wide spread criticism of the president’s claims and statements. For one, Presidential candidate Kamala Harris asked the president to “‘seriously’ consider reading the Constitution.”
- Hollywood Celebrities Are Stepping For Environment
- Selena Gomez Revealed She Had A Crush On Cole Sprouse
- Jack Ma Retires After 20 Years At Alibaba
- How Signals Work for Binary Options Trading
- DDPHE Announces Marijuana Inspections Amid Black Market Explosion
- Alaskan Swimmer disqualified over Modesty Rule; Decision reversed!
- When Should You Get A Cam License?
- Windows Defender is the Best Antivirus, says an Independent Test
- These Premium Knives can Change your cooking Style
- Donald Trump seriously considering abolishing Birthright citizenship – Will he be able to do it?
- Microsoft readies the Chromium based Edge browser close to stable release
- Hyperhidrosis – How to Address it?
- How to Make Cut Flowers Last Longer?
- Local Pizzarias Can Now Sell Online.
- All You Need to Know About Sensory Deprivation Tank Therapy
- US plans to withdraw troops from Afghanistan after a Taliban Deal
- Katy Perry and her team forced to pay for copying a song!
- Federal Reserve Cuts the interest rates for the first time since 2008
- Google is testing Play Pass – A Subscription service for Google Play Apps and Games
- Car Leasing – A truly economical option than buying one?