It is not a secret that President Donald Trump has always been against the Birthright citizenship. Despite the constitutional amendment in place, Trump seems to be adamant on abolishing the the provision which confers the automatic American citizenship to the children born in the US, even when the parents are not the citizens of the country.
However, it may be important to note that Trump made it one of the important points in his election campaign in 2016, he has remained silent all through the tenure which comes to end in 2020. It can perhaps be one of his ploys for seeking re-election next year, even if the executive order – if any – is issued, it is bound to go into the legal turmoil and will be at odds with the country’s Supreme Court.
“We’re looking at that very seriously, birthright citizenship,” is what Trump told reporters at a press conference outside the White House, but did not elaborate on how he wants to go about it. However, the constitutional experts are of the opinion that such a move would not be without the legal battles.
In fact, there is a Supreme Court precedent, where a ruling in 1898 ha conferred the American citizenship on a child born in the US to non citizens parents of Chinese. Any executive order by the Trump administration would be challenged in the Supreme Court citing this precedent.
Trump claimed that “We’re the only country in the world where a person comes in and has a baby, and the baby is essentially a citizen of the United States for 85 years with all of those benefits,” and termed it ridiculous. What is ridiculous for the president is the fact that there are over 30 countries that follow the birthright citizenship.
There has been a wide spread criticism of the president’s claims and statements. For one, Presidential candidate Kamala Harris asked the president to “‘seriously’ consider reading the Constitution.”
- Scooter Braun and Scott Borchetta Are Getting Doxxed By Taylor’s Fans
- Nike’s Departure From Amazon Could Prompt Others To Leave
- Hailey Baldwin And Justin Bieber Enjoys A Road Trip Together
- Mercury is making the rare transit across the sun on Nov 11,2019
- Samsung Galaxy A71 5G With Exynos 980 Processor
- Thousands of Internal Facebook Documents, emails made public in leak
- Selena Gomez Becomes First Artist To Top Billboard And Rolling Stones
- OnePlus Dual Phone Strategy Is Going To Continue Due To Successful Sales
- Amazon Makes Grocery Delivery Free For Prime Members
- Selena Gomez Deleted A Photo Promoting Kim Kardashian Brand
- Kesha: Beyonce Advised Me To Weed Out Snakes From My Life
- Amazon Web Services Is Evaluating Options After Microsoft Wins $10 Billion JEDI Contract
- Google Pixelbook Go Review: The Price Of Simplicity
- Hailey Baldwin Disses Selena Gomez On Her Instagram Story Right After Her Song Release
- China Cancels Theatrical Release Of Quentin Tarantino’s Once Upon A Time In Hollywood
- Livewire To Re-enter The Market After Charging Issue
- FRIENDS Cast’s Six Main Stars Reunited After Years For A Epic Selfie
- Google Dropped Pixel 4 And Pixel 4 XL Recently, And Here Are All The Specs
- Cody Simpson Opens Up About His Relationship With Miley Cyrus
- OnePlus CEO Explains Why There’s No 5G Version Of The 7T Pro