Although floatation therapy seems like a new or even futuristic concept, the truth is that the entire sensory deprivation tank concept could be traced back to the swinging 60s as it was about that time that Dr. John C Lilly came up with the idea of depriving an individual’s senses whilst experimenting with various psychotropic drugs.
His research on the subject was mostly about understanding the psychological impact on the brain due to sensory deprivation which despite indications that individuals who underwent the therapy showed signs of improved concentration and better moods were shelved. However, this did not stop Dr. John C Lily from introducing the concept and getting others involved which resulted in the floatation, in what was then called an isolation tank, being a niche business that only the elite class picked up (celebrities).
By the 70s famous athletes started using the therapy recommended mainly by their coaches which raised the interest of not just the science community, but the general public as well. Fast forward to these days where isolation tanks, now called float tanks or simply floatation therapy, has not only become a medical phenomenon due to the wide array of benefits that people are deriving from it, but also due to the baffling mysteries of how it improves our mental and physical conditions without invasive medical applications.
As a matter of fact, medical professionals readily recommend float tank sessions as an auxiliary treatment for a wide range of illnesses. By wide range they mean, PMS symptoms, recovery from physical injuries, chronic headaches, hormonal imbalances, blood circulation, depression, anxiety, gout, hypertension, high blood pressure, and the list just keeps going. This might obviously prompt a question as to how is it possible that a single element is able to do so many different things and the answer is actually quite logical.
The first simple fact is that during our daily routines as we go about doing our work or whatever, our brain is totally preoccupied and this carries on right up to the point when we go to sleep during which time the brain is still alert for strange sounds, smells that signal danger or bright lights that could still be seen through our eyelids, hence we are not actually ‘really asleep’.
This means that our brain does not get a break for the most part of our lives. Now in a float pod, the brain is prevented from using the sense of smell, sight, sound, heat and even the tug of gravity because the salinity of the water prevents us from sinking and the temperature of the water which is the same as our bodies does not allow our brain to tell apart which parts of our body is afloat and which parts are submerged.
Hence knowing that we are in a safe place, the brain goes into deep rest mode and uses all the raw processing power that is now available in abundance to work out the kinks ‘inside our bodies’ by enhancing our entire biological system. It is actually as simple as that.
- How to Choose Hair Colour for Your Skin Tone
- How to Start a Business in New Jersey
- Networking Like a Natural: Designing the Perfect Business Card
- INTERNET OF THINGS (IOT) DEVELOP SERVICES MARKET TREND EXPECTED TO REACH MULTI BILLION DOLLARS BY 2026
- COMPUTER ASSISTED CODING (CAC) SOFTWARE MARKET TO WITNESS ROBUST EXPANSION THROUGHOUT THE FORECAST PERIOD 2020-2026
- REAL-TIME PCR (QPCR) AND DIGITAL PCR (DPCR) MARKET TO RECEIVE OVERWHELMING HIKE IN REVENUES BY 2020 – 2026
- OFFICE SPACE PLANNING AND DESIGN SERVICES MARKET 2020 INDUSTRY COMPETITIVE PERSPECTIVE, DEVELOPMENT HISTORY, REGIONAL FORECAST BY 2026
- BUSINESS INFORMATION MARKET TO UNDERTAKE STRAPPING GROWTH BY THE END 2026
- FAR-INFRARED SPECTROSCOPY MARKET GROWTH, ONGOING TRENDS, OPPORTUNITIES AND FORECAST TO 2026
- NETWORK ANALYSIS MODULE (NAM) MARKET ANALYSIS, SIZE, SHARE, GROWTH, TRENDS, AND FORECAST 2020 – 2026
- Cleanroom Technology to see a great uproar amidst the COVID-19 situation.
- A new innovation to boost the EV Automotive Market.
- Healthcare and Medical Simulation Market to 2024 Players/Suppliers, Revenue, Volume and Growth Rate by Key Players: Laerdal, CAE, 3D Systems, Ambu, Kyoto Kagaku, Limbs&Things
- Financial Sponsor or Syndicated Loans Market Types, Applications, Leading Countries, Challenges, Opportunities & Drivers Analysis by Goldman Sachs, Barclays, Credit Suisse, JPMorgan
- Corporate Wellness Software Market Supply Demand, Revenue, Investment Feasibility, Market size & Upcoming Trends by Key Vendors: CoreHealth Technologies, MediKeeper, Wellness Layers
- Corporate Leadership Training Market to 2024 Manufactures, Types, Applications, Market Dynamics & Trends by Key Players: Dalecarnegie, Inspireone, Pragati Leadership, Infoprolearning
- Cloud Applications Market Research Analysis of Capacity, Price, Gross Margin, Market share, Recent Trends & Key Players: Yahoo, AWS, Oracle, Aliyun, Microsoft Azure, DELL
- Cartilage Repair/ Cartilage Regeneration Market projected to reach USD 1288.47 million by 2025 by Key Players: Zimmer Biomet Holdings, DepuySynthes, Vericel, Smith & Nephew PLC
- Cards and Payments Market Outlook to 2024 Emerging Trends, Highlights and Challenges by Key Players: Gemalto, G&D, Oberthur, Morpho (Safran), VALID, Eastcompeace
- Virtual Payment Terminal Market Growth by Industry Analysis, Size, Share, Opportunities, Key Manufacturers, Drivers and Forecast to 2024