PHILADELPHIA (WPVI) — Wawa says they will be temporarily suspending their made-to-order food service in Philadelphia in an effort to limit crowds and encourage social distancing.
Officials tell Action News that the change goes into effect at 42 Philadelphia Wawa stores starting Friday at 5 a.m.
“Following recent guidance from Philadelphia City officials, beginning March 27th, we are temporarily suspending built-to-order custom food service ordering in our Philadelphia stores. To help offset this temporary change, we are expanding our express offer of both hot and cold foods to include more options,” said Wawa in a statement.
“This change in our Philadelphia City stores will enable us to move people through the store faster and keeping their interactions brief, while further encouraging the practice of social distancing. As an essential provider, we will remain open to serve our Philadelphia community with hot and cold express items and an assortment of provisioning and packaged goods, keeping the health and safety of every associates and customer in our store our top priority,” the company added.
This suspension is for Philadelphia Wawa stores only.
Wawa customers may still purchase items through delivery partners in Philadelphia.
“Wawa’s full built-to-order menu items will remain available in the City of Philadelphia through delivery service provided by our partners at Door Dash, Grub Hub and UberEats. In addition, mobile orders placed through The Wawa App will be filled through four designated Wawa stores that will be converted to delivery and mobile order fulfillment sites,” Wawa added.
On Wednesday, Wawa officials announced an employee at a store in Philadelphia became infected with the virus. The employee worked at the store located at 2535 Aramingo Avenue. The store will be closed temporarily as the company evaluates the situation.
Another worker in Lehigh County was also confirmed to be infected with the virus.
Copyright © 2020 WPVI-TV. All Rights Reserved.
- Confirmed global coronavirus cases pass one million
- Tiger King star in virus isolation, husband says
- Democrats to delay naming 2020 nominee amid Covid-19
- US man pleads guilty to White House terror plot
- The young doctors being asked to play God
- Zoom apologises for security issues, promises fixes
- US sends warships to Caribbean to stop drugs
- Deserted streets at high noon around the world
- How Dua Lipa released an album from isolation
- Record spike in jobless claims may mean Congress has to pass even more stimulus, economists say – CNBC
- ‘Missing link’ black hole discovered by Hubble – CNN
- Remains of 90 million-year-old rainforest discovered under Antarctic ice – Livescience.com
- Cave bear extinction likely due to large sinuses that impaired chewing – Daily Mail
- Dating of Broken Hill skull leads to questions over modern human ancestry – HeritageDaily
- Top US senator warns Saudi Arabia over oil price war with Russia – Al Jazeera English
- Spain sees record rise in unemployment amid virus
- Why Anne Tyler won’t be writing about coronavirus
- Daniel Pearl convict’s death sentence overturned
- Record surge in US coronavirus death toll
- Coronavirus: World will reach a million infections in days, says WHO